The community's thoughts on moderator nominees are apparently considered by SE for appointing moderators pro tempore. They look for members who:
- Have a reasonably high reputation score to indicate active, consistent participation.
- Show an interest in their meta’s community-building activities.
- Lead by example, showing patience and respect for their fellow community members in everything they write.
- Exhibit those intangible traits discussed in A Theory of Moderation.
Bonus points for:
- Members with participation in both meta and the parent site (i.e. interest in both community building and expertise in the field).
- Area 51 participation, social network referrals, or blogging about the site.
- Members who have already shown an interest or ability to promote their community.
- should be posted as separate answers.
- can be for yourself.
- should link to the user's meta and main profiles, and perhaps to their Area51 profile and to other activity related to Vi.SE.
- for another user should be edited by that user to confirm their acceptance.
The post linked to above discusses in more detail the process of moderator selection and the powers and responsibilities of moderators pro tempore.