The site is currently in private beta, and has no moderators. If the site moves to public beta, then after a little while short-term moderators will be selected. The criteria for selection is outlined in this StackExchange blog post.
If the site were to move out of beta, moderators would be elected by the community.
The relevant criteria for the pro tempore moderator position is to:
- Have a reasonably high reputation score to indicate active, consistent participation
- Show an interest in their meta’s community-building activities
- Lead by example, showing patience and respect for their fellow community members in everything they write.
- Exhibit those intangible traits discussed in A Theory of Moderation.
Bonus points for:
- Members with participation in both meta and the parent site (i.e. interest in both community building and expertise in the field).
- Area 51 participation, social network referrals, or blogging about the site
- Members who have already shown an interest or ability to promote their community